Pretty Paper Dress
Whoo hoo! Here it is! This project even exceeded my expectations and that hardly ever happens! Hehehe... Howdy, my fellow Creative Creatures! I've been dying to get this project to you. It did take me a little while to get it ALL finished, but it was well worth the wait.
I was going through Pinterest and found a lovely card where they used this template. At least that is what I'm assuming. I thought it was way too, big for a card and that's why it turned into an altered art project.
At the bottom of this blog entry there is a different link than the one I used, but I believe the template is the same. The other site no longer has this template, but I did find you one by Googeling paper dress template. If you want to use it on a card, then you will have to print it out a little smaller than its original form. ALSO, the top of the dress is a too small/narrow to fit nicely with the waist of the skirt. That is why the card had such a huge ribbon around the waist?! You might be able to see how I remedied the problem as well.
This entry is not as much as a tutorial as it might be a warning when you use this template. The things to watch out for. Make sure you fold the pleats quite tight and I would definitely use a heavier paper. Maybe even a paper that does not mark up too much when you make a hard crease. You have to very strategically fold and press the skirt just right to fit with the top. I would have just made another bigger top, but I didn't have any more of this paper and I thought the paper was dead on. I just couldn't use another in its place.
I crafted another bottom of the top/bodice that was a bit wider. At least as wide as the top of the skirt was, then used dimensional double sided tape and put the top on top of that. Hehehe...Confused yet? Just keep it in mind when you are making yours. The bottom of the top should be a bit wider at the bottom or make and paste your skirt then draw the top to fit.
Check out that hanger! Don't ya just love it?! It's just some craft wire that I fashioned into a hanger. Then I took some of that furry looking yarn and wrapped it all around the wire. I used tiny glue dots to keep it in place at the ends and it also keeps the hanger in place on the paper, too. Then I just tied that little ribbon around the top. Not only to cover up the wrapped wire at the top, but to mirror the ribbon on the dress.
This flower is hand made. Actually, everything on this project is hand made. Just take strips of paper, glue dot the ends shut, then put them in a nice circle. I used small glue dots for this. I tried putting them all together then taping it all in the middle, but it didn't come out perfect. I used a lot of dots, but it worked the best for a perfect finish. Then use a circle punch for the center. (I used left over paper from the dress.) Then I cut up a few strands of that pearl and also used glue dots to adhere them just slightly under the center of the flower. Voila! (If I were to do this again, I would make another layer of petals that are just slightly smaller, for more depth.)
I put the pink ribbon over the dress with double sided tape and then used this tiny ribbon with a pearl on top of that for more pow. Using more of the stranded pearl, I decorated around the neck of the dress. The little butterfly was just some nice paper I had. I cut it out and used a thick foam dot to adhere. It matches the shape of the bow and of course, its pink colour keeps everything coherent.
The other smaller flower is one of those cheapy paper flowers with a bit of pink, glitter glue put stealthily around the edges. The flower insert is just a paper punch cut out with a pretty pink pearl to tie it all together.
How about the frame? Left over papers and a few other scraps that matched are just rolled up and placed on double sided tape. It's all on an old, repainted frame, but you could also use a box top.
I bought nothing to make this project. Everything you see here was handmade with stuff I had laying around. Scraps, ribbon from gifts, old frames...I do have a lot of stuff, though. Hehehe...
The bottom of the dress is one of my favorite parts about this project. This awesome, fuzzy embellishment is from Webster's Pages. Isn't it just gorgeous?! You would not believe how I tied all of this together. I had some papers and this template sitting on my desk. I threw this card full of ribbon on top of it, by chance and it just jumped out at me. Perfect! Of course, I had to go a bit over the top and use this pearl all around the top of the edging. Serious glam, here!
So, you choose the paper or papers you would like to design your dress in, along with embellishments for it. Then choose your background. I chose a frame that was just slightly largely than my background. I used two different colours for it. Then I left some room on my frame, around the edges, for the rolled up paper tubes. However, it did look pretty darn good without the paper tubes. I then made all of the embellishments that surround my dress because it looked a little lost on the background without them. I found some matching ribbon for it to hang on the wall. I used two different kinds and textures, then made a smaller bow of the stranded pearl. (I actually acquired this ribbon at a party. I asked the host if she would be discarding it and if so, could I have it. Hehehe...)
It took me a good full day to make everything, but I enjoyed every step. If it were by popular request, I would make a tutorial with pictures and detailed step by step instructions for any or all parts.
Here's the link for that template/pattern:http://www.stardel.com/vv/2012/04/25/dress-template-by-card-crazy. If you make one yourself, be sure to share your pictures! Now get off your booty and get scrap'n! Until the next time!